Saturday, December 3, 2011

Homeschool Theme of the Week: Christmas Anticipation!

The month of December is stacking up to be a busy one for us!  We have family flying in for the holidays - yippeee (parents just arrived stateside today)!  AND we just found out we are going to be moving almost immediately after Christmas (a good kind of move that we are happy about)!  :)  

So things are going to be a little crazy around here for a while - but we still plan to find time for some schooling and fun!  Take this past week for instance - full of Christmas anticipation....


Our pink Advent calendar forest - idea courtesy of www.familyfun.com.  Their forest wasn't pink - but if you know my daughter...well, let's just say pink is a very important part of her life.  :)


This was a miniature snowman ornament I found that somehow seemed like he belonged in our forest.  He doesn't have a name...yet.


In addition to some normal schoolwork - we made another pattern block book - this one for Christmas.  For those of you who have scrapbook paper you need to use up, this might be a good idea for you.  Just trace your pattern blocks and make up some Christmas designs with your kiddos!  
(P.S.  For anyone interested, I have made my pattern block book available here for $1.50.)  


This was great practice for not only pattern block designs, but positional words as well.  Most of the pages use positional words to describe where something is or where it was being placed.


This was the final (bonus) page where my daughter was challenged to draw a complete picture showing where all the objects should be (by the way - the cookies are on top of the stool).  I love her picture - she did such a great job!  :)


This had to have been one of the yummier parts of our week!  Chocolate chip candy cane pancakes!  Just add some chocolate chips and crushed candy cane pieces to your pancake batter, stir, and make just like you would normally.  Serve with whip cream, candy cane pieces and chocolate chips for garnish!  


We ate these for breakfast today and then burned some of the calories (not enough, I'm sure) by decorating our Christmas tree and hanging some Christmas decorations outside.   All in all, I would say a great start to the Christmas festivities!  :)  I hope your season's beginnings are rich with memorable times together as well!  :)


Linking to:
www.singingthreelittlebirds.blogspot.com
www.diyhshp.blogspot.com
www.letkidscreate.blogspot.com
http://www.delicateconstruction.com/
posted on "No Ordinary Blog Hop"
www.craftyconfessions.com
http://livinglifeintentionally.blogspot.com
www.gingersnapcrafts.com
www.momontimeout.com
www.handsonaswegrow.com
www.houseofhepworths.com
www.bearrabbitbear.blogspot.com
http://hammockhomeschool.blogspot.com/2011/12/1.html

Hip Homeschool Hop Button Tip Junkie handmade projects


16 comments:

  1. Ohmigosh! Those pancakes look amazing. And, I do love the pink advent forest. Such a neat idea.
    Thanks for commenting on my blog. Stop by anytime. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks like so much fun! Love the pink! Thanks for stopping by Reading Confetti!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the Pancakes! I see them in my future!

    Visiting from HHM

    ~Jana
    http://www.islandgirlscreations.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love! the pink advent forest! What a great idea. And congrats on the move!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love your wonderful posts and amazing pictures... I wanted to let you know that I nominated you for The Versatile Blogger Award.http://teachinggoodeaters.blogspot.com/2011/12/most-versitile-blogger-award.html

    ReplyDelete
  6. My daughter was looking over my shoulder and LOVES the pink forest. She's 9 1/2 and planning a pink birthday party... ;0)

    She's also learning to quilt with gramma - so the pattern blocks caught her eye too.

    Those pancakes look mighty fine (and thick!) I've never thought of trying candy cane crushed up in them. Might have to give that a shot!

    I'm visiting from the Hip Hop!

    Sara
    http://www.TheOtherEndOfTheCandle.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your pink advent forest is soooo pretty. Thanks for stopping by my blog. I am now your newest GFC follower. Follow me back if you would like to :)

    ~MiaB
    www.mamamiasheart2heart.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your blog is so pretty. The pink advent forest would never fly in my house full of boys, but it is beautiful. Thanks for stopping by my blog and I hope you come back.

    Mommy Cameron
    http://raisingthecameronclan.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a gorgeous advent forest! LOVE it! It is so pretty, so non-tradtition, so FUN!! Thanks for linking up & sharing at TGIF! See you next week,
    Beth =-)

    ReplyDelete
  10. The advent forest is lovely and the pancakes are yummy looking! Thanks for sharing! Thanks for linking to Things I've Done Thursday!

    Melanie
    Sew Rugged @ bear rabbit bear
    bearrabbitbear.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  11. Those pancakes look worth some carb points!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love the pink forest and those pancakes look so delicious! Thanks for sharing on Monday Madness.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love your pink advent forest!! How pretty and what a fun idea!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love this advent calendar. Please consider adding this post to my Home School Writing Prompts. Here is the direct link - http://hammockhomeschool.blogspot.com/2011/12/1.html

    ReplyDelete
  15. I haven't had choc. chip, candy cane pancakes since high school. I will have to make them for my son. Yum!

    Thank you for linking up at NOBH.

    ReplyDelete
  16. The pancakes look soooo good!! And I love the pink forest. Neat idea. Thanks for linking up to the NOBH. :)

    ReplyDelete