Peach, chewy goodness with a hint of yummy chipotle for an added kick! Not only are these little bear gems a cinch to make, they taste good too! When I first realized that one could make one's own gummi bears so easily, it quickly became part of my "To-Do-With-Kids" list for the summer. Fortunately, Father's Day was right around the corner so I decided after our first gummi bear attempt (grape flavor), we would jazz up the next try to give it more of a manly adult flair. A quick taste test and I knew we had a winner! My husband felt the same way and polished off the gummi bears the same day we gave them to him!
(Word of caution: if you are trying these with small children, make sure YOU handle the chipotle part and warn them that the chipotle part of the gummi bear will be hot/spicy. You might want to try one first!)
We used the basic recipe from this blog (Skip to my Lou) and then added our chipotles (in step #5): http://www.skiptomylou.org/2010/01/06/homemade-gummi-candy/
YOU WILL NEED:
** 1 - 3 ounce box of jello (we used peach)
** 2 - 1/4 ounce packages of unflavored gelatin (I think we used Knox brand and I think we used maybe an extra half a package to increase the chewiness of the gummi candy)
** 1/3 cup of water
** small saucepan
** mold for making candy (We used one we found on clearance at a craft store. Make sure it is safe to use for heated purposes because the gummi mixture will be hot at first. Sorry I could not find a link to the exact mold I have; BUT if you cannot find one at a store near you, you might be interested in some of the other fun possibilities I found while searching - see links below.)
**minced chipotle pepper in adobo sauce (if you want to make the peach chipotle gummi bears)
1. Mix the jello and unflavored gelatin and water together in a saucepan (not over flame yet).
2. Heat ingredients in the pan over medium heat until the gelatin has dissolved.
3. Pour the mixture into a container for pouring (remember that it will still be hot so don't use a pouring container that will melt when heated).
4. Pour mixture into your mold.
5. If you are making peach chipotle gummi bears, this is where you would quickly add a small piece or pieces of your minced chipolte pepper by pushing them gently into the gummi filled mold - just enough so they get covered or semi-covered with the gummi mixture.
6. You can let these cool completely on the counter or speed things up by placing them in the fridge or freezer for a few minutes (just don't forget them in the freezer!).
7. Peel out of the mold, eat, and ENJOY!! :)