Wednesday, August 3, 2011

Back To School Countdown Can!



The beginning of (home)school is just around the corner for us so we made a back to school countdown can!  Simple, inexpensive, and adds to the anticipation as we count our way down to the first day of school!  Each day we unwrap the numbered flag and read what is written inside - activities for my daughter to do to help prepare for school and even some fun little treat ones - like "eat a chocolate chip".

(BTW - if the "following" area is not showing up on your computer - not sure why this is happening on and off - and you wanted to become a follower - check the top of the page.  On my computer there is a "follow" button at the very top and that seems to work.  If it does not work for you, let me know and I will see what else I can do.  Sorry for the inconvenience for those who have been trying to follow the blog. )

If you want to make a Countdown Can, you will need:  a package of pencils, a can, hot glue gun, one piece of paper (decorative or otherwise), optional paint and decorative ribbon.

1.  Decide when to start the countdown and get that many pencils for the can.  
2.  OPTIONAL:  paint your can.
3.  Cut one large strip of decorative paper (our apple paper came from Hobby Lobby, and I only used one sheet) to glue around the can and smaller strips for the tops of the pencils.   



4.  On the inside of each strip, write something for your kids to do each day of the countdown (picking out a "first day" outfit, cleaning, going shopping for school supplies, or it could be as fun and simple as eating a chocolate chip)!  
5.  On one end of the outside of the strip, paste a number - or you could just write a number on it.  Hot glue the opposite end to the pencil, roll it around the pencil leaving the numbered part free to make a small "flag" and add another small dot of hot glue to keep it from completely unrolling.   
6.  OPTIONAL:  Tie a decorative ribbon around the middle of your can.
7.  Toss the pencils in the can and begin your countdown!  :)



Linking to: www.whipperberry.com
                   www.shabbynest.blogspot.com
                   www.fingerprintsonthefridge.com
                   http://www.ladybirdln.com/









HouseofHepworthslil luna link party button
Confessions of a Stay At Home Mommy

7 comments:

  1. I like you post, you could use it for any countdowns, like birthdays, hols anything really! Saw you on link party, now google following you, please pop by, Karima x www.karimascrafts.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. How unique!

    I run Fun Family Crafts, a library of craft tutorials geared at kids of all ages. I would love it if you'd stop by and submit this to be featured! (I link to you, I don't post your tutorial on the site) Feel free to submit as many kid friendly craft tutorials as you like! http://funfamilycrafts.com/

    ReplyDelete
  3. This would be a cute little gift to bring the teacher on the first day of school too!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a great idea. Thanks for sharing. You really are quite creative aren't you. Would love to follow your blog, but your followers aren't showing for me.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks so much for all the sweet comments! Very encouraging and I appreciate it!
    kewkew - I am not certain why the "followers" don't always show up. However, I know there is a follow button on the top of the page (or at least that is where it shows up for me) and that seems to work. If you still want to follow and that does not help - let me know and I will see what else I can do. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a clever idea!! I would love it if you linked up to my Tuesday Confessional link party going on now: http://www.craftyconfessions.com/2011/08/tuesday-confessional-link-party-and.html
    I hope to see you soon!
    ~Macy

    ReplyDelete
  7. Macy - thanks for the party invitation - I will hop on over. :)
    -Michelle

    ReplyDelete