Monday, August 22, 2011

BACK TO SCHOOL First Day Part 2


Part 1 of my last post stated how we began our first day of Kindergarten homeschooling - a fun breakfast and treasure hunt. The rest of the day was spent schooling, a first day photo shoot with mommy of course, meeting daddy for lunch, and to close the day on an especially sweet note - we ate some little treats we had made: apple-surprise-inside cupcakes! Yes, there is actually a surprise inside each cupcake - read on...



These are the basic apple cupcakes you see floating around on the web celebrating many a commence of school - but with a fun twist. We scoop out part of the inside of the cupcake and insert either "apple seeds" which are really chocolate chips, or a gummy worm (thus the worm inside the apple idea). Then we close them back up and enjoy seeing what we get when we bite into one at the end of the first day of school. :) BTW - I did not have pretzels on hand for the stems so out of necessity, I found some candy canes in the cupboard, broke them into pieces, and we dipped those in chocolate and used them as stems instead. I like how they turned out - different and very tasty. :) The leaf is actually part of a gummy fruit slice - also very yummy. :)



A view of the inside of a couple of the cupcakes before we filled them back up and put the tops back on.  :)  I must admit that I found myself secretly hoping my apple surprise cupcake would yield the "seeds" when I bit into it.  :)

Linking up to these great parties:
www.makingtheworldcuter.blogspot.com
www.sumossweetstuff.blogpspot.com
www.craftskeepmesane.blogspot.com
www.runwithglitter.blogspot.com
www.bluecricketdesign.net


Confessions of a Stay At Home Mommy

Tip Junkie handmade projects lil luna link party buttonheight="175" />

5 comments:

  1. These are great! It's fun to find surprises in our food - when they are planned by mom :). Thanks for stopping by my Pinkalicious party!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for your comment at Capital B! All of your ideas and your obvious ambition are terrific! Good luck with your new year of home schooling! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congratulations on your first day of home schooling! That can not be too easy. I commend you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very cute! I could see using candy-coated sunflower seeds as the "apple seeds".

    ReplyDelete
  5. What an absolutely wonderful idea! I remember that dreaded feeling knowing the school holidays were over. It's not even that I hated school, I quite liked it!
    But this would really have lightened things up, so thank you for posting this idea. I'll definitely try this on my kids, I know they'll love it :)

    ReplyDelete